Frequently Asked Questions
The following questions are frequently asked by our visitors and customers. If your question is not answered below, please feel free to contact us.
Installation and Performance
- Will IP-guard slow down my computers?
- Does it take a long time to successfully install IP-guard?
- I have 5000 computers in my company. Can IP-guard manage so many computers?
- Will my anti-virus software, anti-spyware and firewall be compatible with IP-guard?
- Will IP-guard work with MAC, Unix, and Linux computers?
- Will IP-guard work with Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT4, Windows 2000, Windows 2003, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 2008 and Windows 7 computers?
- Will IP-guard interfere with other programs?
I’m a boss. Can you provide any strong evidence to show me that employee monitoring is legal?
Different countries have different laws regarding computer monitoring. According to incomplete statistics, laws in most countries allow the monitoring of employees in the course of their work day. Most countries believe that employers have the right to monitor employee performance and use of company resources for they pay for their work and they own the property. We provide you with impartial material to show you employee monitoring is legal.
- United States
- According to the 18 U.S.C § 2511 (2)(a)(i) “It shall not be unlawful under this chapter for an operator of a switchboard, or an officer, employee, or agent of a provider of wire or electronic communication service, whose facilities are used in the transmission of a wire or electronic communication, to intercept, disclose, or use that communication in the normal course of his employment while engaged in any activity which is a necessary incident to the rendition of his service or to the protection of the rights or property of the provider of that service, except that a provider of wire communication service to the public shall not utilize service observing or random monitoring except for mechanical or service quality control checks”, employee monitoring is legal in the United States.
- United Kingdom
- According to the Part 3 Monitoring at work of The Employment Practices Code, employee monitoring is legal. For more details, please refer to the related articles.
- According to the Franck L. v. Enterprise Martine, employee monitoring is legal in France. For specific articles, please look it up on the Franck L. v. Enterprise Martine.
- According to the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Data Act (PIPEDA) of 2000 (Bill C-6), employers can conduct employee monitoring. For specific articles, please refer to related materials.
- According to the Commonwealth Interception Act and the Privacy Act of 1988, Australian employers legally can conduct employee surveillance. For more details, please refer to related materials.
If you cannot find your country above, please refer to the laws in your country.
Should we inform our employees that their internet and computer activities are being monitored?
If your primary goal is to reduce or eliminate productivity loss caused by inappropriate or aimless surfing, or if you are trying to eliminate internet sexual harassment, or if you wish to prevent data loss, the answer is YES.
From our point of view, employees’ personal privacy should be respected. In most cases, you need to provide meaningful information as to why they have a monitoring policy and tell them to be careful of leaking their private information in using corporate computers.
However, there will be some exceptional cases. If you suspect some employees commit something illegal such as data stealing, sexual harassment and threat, and you are looking for proof to substantiate your suspicion, we do not think it is necessary to inform the employees.
What should I do to avoid lawsuit before implement any employee monitoring solution?
We suggest you plan to write out an acceptable use policy relating to the employee computer use before you implement an employee monitoring solution. The policy should specify what will be monitored and why you need to monitor the computer activity. Notice to all. A well written employee policy handbook can usually help you resolve disputes.
Why do I need to monitor my employees?
Most people know the terrible video posted on YouTube about Domino’s Pizza in April 2009. It was a huge damage to Domino’s reputation and business. Don’t you afraid this will happen to you one day? Don’t you want to get a grip on your employees’ activities? Do you know what they are doing in front of the computers? IP-guard helps you know exactly what they are doing to protect your business from any harmful actions and unintentional misconducts.
Can IP-guard be circumvented by our employees?
IP-guard would be extremely difficult for an employee to circumvent for the following reasons:
- The IP-guard agent, a program to record and gather user operation data, is running in the process and does not contain a user interface that an employee may stumble upon. Thus, there are no Hotkeys by default, desktop icons or System tray icons that might indicate the presence of the IP-guard agent.
- The IP-guard agent does not show up in the Windows task list, and cannot be uninstalled using the Windows Add/Remove function.
- IP-guard is designed to use very few system resources and does not slow down the desktop user. It is hard for user to sense IP-guard’s existence.
- The recording data reside on the managed desktop only for a short period of time before they are automatically and seamlessly uploaded to the IP-guard Service Manager and SQL Database.
- IP-guard provides an optional function for you to disable the System Restore feature in Microsoft Windows systems so as to prevent users from restoring their system back to state without IP-guard installed.
- The IP-guard agent can run properly and record user operation though cables are unplugged or Microsoft Windows has a firewall that blocks a specific port. Once when the cable is plugged in and the blocked port is enabled, recorded data can be uploaded to IP-guard server.
Installation & Performance
Will IP-guard slow down my computers?
No. According to our professional test time after time, it won’t affect user operations, computer running and PC performance. User cannot sense its existence.
Does it take a long time to successfully install IP-guard?
It takes a few minutes, not quite long. Please wait patiently while IP-guard is installing.
I have 5000 computers in my company. Can IP-guard manage so many computers?
Yes. IP-guard can manage all of them. No matter how many computers you have, IP-guard can help you manage them with ease.
Will my anti-virus software, anti-spyware and firewall be compatible with IP-guard?
According to our test, IP-guard is compatible with all popular anti-virus, anti-spy ware software and firewalls.
Will IP-guard work with MAC, Unix, and Linux computers?
IP-guard does not support MAC, Unix and Linux. Currently, it only works with Windows computers.
Will IP-guard work with Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT4, Windows 2000, Windows 2003, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 2008 and Windows 7 computers?
Yes. IP-guard works with Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows 2008 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows XP 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows 2003 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows 2000 32-bit, Windows NT4, Windows ME, and Windows 98 computers.
Will IP-guard interfere with other programs?
IP-guard is completely invisible to users. It runs in the background and takes very little system resources to run by adopting unique fast image capturing and high-speed data transfer. It will not affect users in using computers at all.
What types of Instant Message applications can be monitored?
There are ICQ, MSN/windows messenger/live messenger, SKYPE, Yahoo! Messenger, Lotus Sametime, UC, POPO, QQ/TM, RTX, etc.
What types of Instant Message tools can be blocked?
IP-guard can help you block AIM, Yahoo! Messenger, SKYPE, MSN Messenger, ICQ, Trillian, Lotus Sametime, Tencent QQ, etc.
Can it record incoming and outgoing Gmail letters?
Sorry, so far we cannot control and record letters sent and received via gmail server because these letters are encrypted. But we have screen monitoring function for you to see what your employees are doing with Gmail.
What types of email can be recorded and controlled by IP-guard?
IP-guard can record and control incoming and outgoing SMTP, POP3, IMAP, and Microsoft Exchange email. Moreover, it can record but cannot control outgoing webmail and Lotus Notes email.
So far, hotmail, AOL Mail, and Yahoo! Mail all can be recorded.
If the blocked application is renamed, can IP-guard still block it?
IP-guard provides two ways for you to block applications:
- Manually Input the application name which you want to block
- Select the application class you want to block from the Application Category dialogue box
If you use the first way to block the applications, IP-guard cannot block the applications when their names are renamed;
If you use the second way to block the applications, IP-guard can block it though their names are renamed.
Is there any other simple ways to get the Trial Serial Number besides filling in the free trial form?
Sorry! In order to protect our software and avoid inappropriate use, your accurate information is needed. If you think it is troublesome to fill in the form, you can email us.
How long do I have to wait to get the Trial Serial Number?
If the information you filled in is complete and valid, we will process your application as quickly as possible and send you an email with a Trial Serial Number and a link to download IP-guard trial program within 2 business days.
Why didn’t I get the trial serial number yet?
Sorry to have you waited for so long. There are three possible reasons:
- The information you filled in is incomplete or untrue.
- Please login to your email account and carefully check your inbox and junk.
- We need some time to verify your information. Please be patient. We will get back to you the moment when we finish the process.
If you want to know the exact reason, please contact us via email: email@example.com